The Department of Economics, D.N. College, Meerut was established on July 8, 1958.
In the beginning, the then Principal of D.N. College Dr K.D. Agarwal started teaching the Economics classes and part time teachers were also invited from Meerut College. In 1961 Dr. S. Lal was appointed as a permanent teacher but he left after some time. Till 1966 it remained only as a degree department with an optional alternative paper available to B.Sc. (PCM) group students. In 1966 P.G. Classes were started and Dr. H.C. Verma was appointed as the Head of the Department Since then new lecturers were appointed from time to time. Dr. S.A. Rizvi, Dr. Virendra Singh, Dr. R.C. Agarwal, Dr. J.C. Pant, Dr. R.S. Gupta and Dr. N.K. Taneja were appointed as permanent lecturers.
Till the session 2007 -08 there were four permanent teachers in this Department with Dr. J.C. Pant as Head and the others were Dr. Anupa Singh, Dr. Nidhi Sharma and Dr. Kavita Saxena. However Dr. Nidhi Sharma resigned in March 2008, Dr. J.C. Pant , Head of the Department since 1992, retired in June 2008. At present , At permanent teachers in the Department with Dr. Anupa Singh as Head of the Departmant and Dr. Kavita Saxena as Senior Lecturer.
Economics Department has a glorious past Since its beginning it has produced a good chain of bank officers,officers in defence ,police and para military services , teachers, professors researchers.and managers. At College and University levels the students, of this department have performed better in sports and other curricular and extra curricular activities like debates,N.S.S.,Rovers / Rangers , cultural activities etc.
Department At a Glance :
(1) Regular internal assessment is done to assess the academic performance of students. Group-discussions, seminars, paper, presentation, quiz, visit to factory sites etc are a regular future of the department. Cultural activities are also organized sometimes for P.G.Students. Social/ Extension / Community Development /Awareness Programmes are also conducted by the Department
(2) The Department is maintaining its own library,where original and standard books are kept. Reputed Journals of economics are also maintained in the library.
(3) Three minor research projects have been sanctioned to the department teachers by UGC two in 2004 and one in 2011
(4) The department has conducted four National Seminars in November 2006, January 2010 (both U.G.C Sponsored), February 2011 and March 2012 .
(5) Dissertation was started as an optional paper in MA II since 2000. Till 2010 40 dissertations have been completed under the supervision of the teachers of the department . After 2010 it was made a compulsory paper under the semester system in MA IV semester .
(6) Economics department has produced about 71 Ph.D's and some are going on Quality of research work is an important criteria in Research Supervision.
(7) Since 2004, four reputed Journals are being subscribed. They are Economic and Political Weekly (2)Southern Economist (3)RBI Bulletin (4)The Indian Journal of labour Economics
(8) Attending National and International Seminars and Conference is a regular practice of the teachers of the department. Papers are also presented by them in almost all of the Seminars.About 56 National / International Seminars /conferences and 03 workshops have been attended by faculty members and 54 research papers have been presented in them.
(9) Department teachers also pay attention to the publication work. Many research articles,papers and abstracts have been published in National and Regional level Journals and Books. About 27 research papers have been published by the faculty members.
(10) Besides teaching, the faculty members also contribute in other administrative activities of the college and are members of various committees of the college.